AI-Accelerated Product Development
Bias In Facial Recognition Algorithms
Total time needed:
To understand the social biases embedded in facial recognition technologies: why they arise, how they affect people, and what can be done to address them
Potential Use Cases
Facial recognition / processing technologies, image classification algorithms more broadly
Who is This For ?
Click on each of the following
to see details.
1. The Myth of the Impartial Machine
What do we mean when we say that algorithmic systems "biased"?
Where does the bias in algorithmic systems come from?
2. Facial Recognition Technologies: A Primer
What are facial recognition technologies?
How and where are facial recognition technologies used?
How does a machine recognize an individual face?
How accurate are facial recognition technologies?
3. Joy Buolamwini: "How I'm fighting bias in algorithms"
What does bias in facial recognition algorithms look like?
What can we do about bias in facial recognition algorithms?
4. Gender Shades: Intersectional Accuracy Disparities in Commercial Gender Classification
How do we know that facial recognition algorithms can discriminate on the basis of race and gender?
5. Saving Face: Investigating the Ethical Concerns of Facial Recognition Auditing
Can we audit facial recognition algorithms for bias?
6. "Wrongfully Accused by an Algorithm"
How can facial racial technologies lead to actual harm?